Monday, July 14, 2008

Birth Story

I have attended a few Mother's Blessing ceremonies during this past week. They have been SO nice. Can I say that they sure beat out your typical baby shower?! They are such joyous loving occasions! I was privileged to have had two of them. My friends are awesome! I'd like to write more about them specifically another time, but I really wanted to share a poem that I love. I pulled this out to give to my friends this week. I've found it a couple of places on other blogs and it's just beautiful.

Birth Story

(I'm drowning)

And the midwife holds me in her arms and says
Yes, it's hard, isn't it? You're doing so well!
(I'm surfacing)
And she says you're doing it exactly right
(And I'm drowning)
And she says you're taking such good care of your baby
(And I'm surfacing)
And she says yes this is how it is, you'll live, you're good and strong
(And I'm drowning)
And she says, good, good, that's good!
(and I'm surfacing)
And part of me says damn you, I'm dying here!
(And I'm drowning)
And part of me says, Oh God, I am doing this, aren't I?
(And I'm surfacing)
And part of me says leave me alone save me help me
(And I'm drowning)
And part of me says this is the most incredible thing I've ever done
I can't believe I'm actually doing this yes yes yes
(And I'm surfacing)


And the baby comes in a long, sea salt waterfall flood ocean of sweat and tears and birth waters and blood and I take her slippery warm wide-eyed amazed and knowing little self against my created~and~moved~the~universe warm and billowy belly and tell her she's wonderful and safe. And I follow her with a red and glorious afterbirth.

And I think "I did it. I am totally incredible!! We want some prizes and news coverage in here." Did you see that? Was that great or what?!?!?”

(And the Doctor writes:
32 year old gravida II Para I presents in active labor. Normal, spontaneous vaginal delivery of a viable female LOA over intact perineum. Apgars 9 & 10.
Uneventful delivery.........)

~ by Barbara Kozlowski, CNM

No comments: